Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tracie's Pull List - Week of August 17, 2011

We just posted the vidcast we recorded over the weekend. I make shout-outs to female comics creators (they exist, but we need more of them) and I manage to forget that Sandra Hope is one of my favorite inkers.

ANYWAY, in this week's comics, we say goodbye to two members of the Superman Family and probably Wally West, too. Also, I drool all over the We3 Deluxe Edition like a, well... dog?

Then let's all get excited about X-Men Schism and more Daredevil!

LET'S!!!



DC RETROACTIVE THE FLASH THE 90S #1

These Retroactive books have been a lot of fun and I'm especially looking forward to this 90's Flash book, having been a big fan of Mark Waid (and editor-turned-co-writer Brian Augustyn)'s run(s) and of Wally West in general. It's a shame DC still has such bad blood with Waid that he wasn't invited to return to the character for this one-off. But thankfully Brian's back to give us what could be our very last look at Wally West for the foreseeable future.

SUPERBOY #11

Final issue of Superboy from Eisner-nominated creator Jeff Lemire. It's been a very interesting run and not something I'd have ever expected from a Superboy comic, but I like being surprised by my comics. And Karl Kershel's cover, paying homage to #1, is a brilliant way to cap off the series.

SUPERGIRL #67

Final issue of Supergirl! Kelly Sue Deconnick has really done such a wonderful job with this 3-issue arc, I'm sad we won't see more from her on Supergirl. I really have no idea what to expect from the new iterations of her and Superboy, coming down the pike next month. It'll be an interesting month all-around.

TINY TITANS #43

Tiny Titans does a parody of The New 52 in the way that only Tiny Titans can.

WE 3 DELUXE EDITION HC (MR)

I WANT THIS SO BAD. Even when I was at my most fervent of Grant Morrison complainery, I knew that We3 was something special. My wonderful retailer at the time (hi, Dave!) actually urged me to put aside my loathing for Grant because of what he'd done to "my X-Men" and read We3. And I'm so glad I did. I guess We3 was the first big chink in my armor, regarding Morrison's work. (All-Star Superman being the next and biggest) Actually, I haven't read We3 since finally caving to Robb and reading All-Star Superman so I'm even more excited to revisit the heartbreaking tale. This Deluxe Edition hardcover actually includes all new story pages with art by Frank Quitely, filling in some things that were cut from the original issues and which, I believe, have since been added to the We3 screenplay that Grant Morrison himself wrote and which I hope gets made very soon. Especially with how successful Rise of the Planet of the Apes has been, We3 seems like it would capture a lot of that same audience.

AVENGERS #16 FEAR

Romita Jr. is back and Steve Rogers reacts to Bucky's death.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #2
DAREDEVIL #2

While not highly publicized reboots, Marvel has had a string of really wonderful, accessable relaunches lately with Moon Knight, Punisher, Captain America and Daredevil. Waid and Rivera's Daredevil is especially impressive in how well it catapults the character forward without throwing away everything that came before and Paulo Rivera is doing absolutely brilliant work depicting Daredevil and his powers. I cannot recommend it enough. And Brubacker and McNiven's Captain America is really beautiful with great action sequences. These books are perfect jumping on points.

FEAR ITSELF DEADPOOL #3 (OF 3) FEAR

And now I go back to not reading Deadpool until Marvel hires more internet comedians to write him.

FEAR ITSELF FEARSOME FOUR #3 (OF 4) FEAR

Oh Howard the Duck, I will sure by any book you star in.

FEAR ITSELF HOME FRONT #5 (OF 7) FEAR

This continues to be a very well done companion book to the main Fear Itself mini.

GENERATION HOPE #10 SCHISM

While yesterday saw the sad news that writer Kieron Gillen would be leaving the series after issue 12, we still have some more brilliance to come from him and this really excellent look at this new generation of mutants. And I'm very curious to see how this ties in with Idie's involvement in Schism.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #507 FEAR

I keep saying it but Fear Itself is the best thing to happen to this book in a long time.

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #626 FEAR

Afformentioned Kieron Gillen continues his brilliant "Teen Loki Builds An Army" storyline. Teen Loki is the best Loki.

SPIDER-ISLAND AMAZING SPIDER-GIRL #1 (OF 3) SPI

SPIDER-GIRL IS BACK! It's only been a month, sure, but she's back! And, like, MORESO because she has powers again, thanks to the Spider-Island event!

THUNDERBOLTS #162 FEAR

I love Jeff Parker and Kev Walker's Thunderbolts. That is all.

ULTIMATE COMICS FALLOUT #6 (OF 6) DOSM

Final issue of Fallout before the Ultimate Universe relaunches next month. Miles Morales! Fascinating politics with mutants, via Morning Glories' Nick Spencer! Jonathan Hickman makes The Ultimates relevant again!

UNCANNY X-MEN #542 FEAR

X-Men versus Juggernaut! C'MON YOU GUYS GIVE ME THE MOMENT I AM WAITING FOR.

X-MEN SCHISM #3 (OF 5)

Schism is hitting all of my X-Fan buttons! ALL OF THEM! Art by soon-to-be-regular artist of Avengers, Daniel Acuna!

1 comment:

  1. Lots of independents out there too:

    Mary Fleener, Aline Kominsky-Crumb, Ariel Schrag.... The list goes on!
    -Shawn D

    ReplyDelete