Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tracie's Pull List - Week of Apr 13, 2011

I used to do this sort of thing several years and few blogs ago but I thought I'd give it another try and invite any of you to join in with your own Pull Lists.

Here's a rundown of the comics I'll be picking up this Wednesday with a few anecdotes as to why.



Amazing Spider-Man #658

I've been a proponent of Amazing Spider-Man since "Brand New Day" got things rolling again with some fresh new directions from the "Spidey Brain Trust" of writers but I think the book has his a new high with Dan Slott taking the solo writing reigns with "Big Time." This issue marks the first part of a new storyline exploring Spider-Man's new membership in the FF (Future Foundation).

Batgirl #20

My favorite DC Comic ships this week as we find out how Batgirl and Proxy handle things without Oracle.

Birds Of Prey #11

It's the long-awaited Catman & Huntress date! (as teased by Gail Simone in our Planet Comicon report)

Flash #10

Ironically, this book has been running a couple months behind, but this Flashpoint Prelude is finally here to give us a bit more insight into Hot Pursuit and just what his arrival means to the Flash and the DC Universe.

Journey Into Mystery #622

One of my favorite new writers, Kieron Gillen, takes over as new writer as Thor reverts back to Journey Into Mystery and spotlights the youngified Loki in a "Fear Itself" tie-in.

Justice League Generation Lost #23

This book has been a real treat and a bit of a surprise, despite the fact that I consider myself a fan of Judd Winick. This book's just about to come to an end but I hope we see more of this team under Winick's care soon.

New Avengers #11

The secret history of Nick Fury and the Avenger Initiative! ALSO: Mockingbird's life hangs in the balance! Secrets! Drama! Sabretooth and Kraven wearing fancy suits!

Onslaught Unleashed #3 (OF 4)

It's the penultimate issue of the Secret Avengers/Young Allies crossover and just what is the deal with Rikki Barnes/Nomad????

Red Robin #22

I'm kind of on the fence about this issue. While I enjoy Red Robin quite a bit, this issue is part of a crossover with Gotham City Sirens and Batman, two titles I have long sense dropped out of disinterest in their creative teams. Do I want to buy this issue just to keep my Red Robin run intact (and to gaze at the Freddie Williams II art?) but only get part of a story? Guess it will have to survive the trial of the dreaded FLIP TEST.

Secret Warriors #26

The history of HYDRA! The history of S.H.E.I.L.D! Jonathan Hickman has longterm, deep-rooted plans for the Marvel Universe and it's danged cool. This series is on it's way to wrapping up, whereas...

Shield Infinity

Hickman's Shield series is back with a new one shot featuring several short stories covering different characters/timelines as things gear up for the launch of Shield Volume 2. Da Vinci and Issac Newton, more secrets of the Marvel Universe!

Superboy #6

As with this week's Red Robin, this issue of Superboy is also a piece of a crossover I have no prior interest in. HOWEVER, I'm a big enough fan of Jeff Lemire and invested enough in the series that I'll still pick this up to keep abreast of what's going on with Conner and his supporting cast. Plus, this Doomsday stuff is coming to a head in Paul Cornell's excellent Action Comics and I don't have any problems coming in at the tale end of the action so long as creators like Jeff and Paul are running things.

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #6

I had absolutely not one iota of interest in this revamp of an old DC property that I only recognized from quarter bins and the like--until the monsterous buzz around writer Nick Spencer became too much to bear and I had to check it out for myself. Aided with super clean artwork by Cafu and a team of stellar back-up and cover artists, this book has been an absolute treat and stands out against anything DC is publishing. It reads with the sharpness and intelligence of a Vertigo book and each issue has ended with a cliffhanger that really rewards the monthly reader and leaves you begging to come back for more. This is how you do revamp.

Ultimate Avengers Vs New Ultimates #3 (OF 6)

The covers suggests that this "Death of Spider-Man" tie-in might actually have Spider-Man in it. If not, it's still got buckets full of testosterone from Mark Millar and Leinil Yu.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #157

I don't know what you're trying to pull here, Brian Michael Bendis--writer of my favorite comic series of all time AKA this comic book right here, Ultimate Spider-Man--but if you're working towards shattering my heart into a bunch of tiny pieces, I hope that you do so with the same finesse and care you have given this series thus far.

Uncanny X-Force #7

If you heard that Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force was a surprisingly fun--and violent--romp through the morally grey side of the Children of the Atom playground, you heard correct. It's Wolverine's team of mutant mercenaries versus Deathloks of EVERYBODY.

Uncanny X-Men #535

Kieron Gillen's first issue as solo writer on Uncanny X-Men shipped just last week as part of the "Point One" initiative and it was a smart look at Magneto's place among his former enemies, the X-Men. Now he's back with Terry Dodson on art as the team returns to the Breakworld, last seen in Master Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. Will Kitty Pryde get revenge for being trapped in that giant bullet that one time?

X-Men Legacy #247

The mystery of The Age of X is a mighty curious one (A BOX???) and maybe this issue will provide the answers to what happened to the universe that made everybody dress so much nicer but be so angry at dudes.

That's it for this week! If you'd like a visual of this week's Pull List, check out iFanboy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted this. I tried to do my monthly once... and it was a nightmare to put them all up. This is a cool insight as to what you are getting. I like it!

    ReplyDelete