Sunday, April 17, 2011

Events that shaped me as a reader of comics

With my last few stories sparking conversations, I wanted to list some of my favorite "Event" story lines. This is my top ten for one reason or another. These major story lines really affected me as a comic book reader/collector. Obviously this isn't the definitive, or shared opinion of the whole CBXF team. Its my own personal opinion. I know Monty wouldn't even have Blackest Night in the realm of possibilities, but I wanted to share what molded me as a Comic book reader. Please let us know if I missed one on your list. Or what would your order be?

10. Infinity Gauntlet (Desperate to win the affections of his love, Death, Thanos decides to offer the entity a gift of love by completing a task she had given him, erasing half the sentient life in the universe.) I only read this series once, and only years after it came out originally. But it resonated with me (And the Marvel Universe) so much over the years. This ultimate glove that could wipe-out or change all possible things. And an impossible war for the heroes to fight. To this day, I love this story.

9. Armageddon 2001 (Monarch is a tyrant in the future and rules the world with an Iron fist, A time traveling scientist, Matt Ryder forced into a time travel test, only to become Waverider , a hero with time travel abilities, and learns that Monarch was a former hero from the year of 1991. Waveride travels back in time to meet each major hero and determine if they will one day become mankind's greatest threat) My first real comic mystery. This cross-over spanned over the summer and took place in the Annuals. We got some incredible stories of Superman becoming President and other possible futures for each hero. It had me hooked because I wanted to know, "Who was going to become Monarch".

8. Fatal Attractions (While the X-Men are burying Illyana Rasputin (who was killed by the Legacy Virus), Magneto and the Acolytes crash the funeral, stating their intentions to wipe out humanity from Avalon, their space station. Colossus, distraught over his sister's death and faltering in his faith in Professor X and his dream, joins Magneto and the Acolytes.) This was my first Marvel cross-over, and I only gave it a try because I read a rumor that some major changes were going to occur to the X-men. Colossus leaving the team was only the tip of the ice burg. The X-men battle with Magneto leaves him in a coma, only after Magnus uses his power to take all the admantium out of Wolverine. Then as Logan heals, we learn that his blades contained bone and he's had claws all along. I collected X-men for many years after that.

7. Invasion (An alien coalition of many worlds, lead by the manipulating Dominators learn that Earth is not only a breeding ground for "meta" human, but they could pose a possible threat to the entire galaxy. So they strike and invade the Earth before these humans evolve and dominate the Universe.) This was my first introduction to the modern DCU outside of Superman comics at the time. Captain Atom gathers all the heroes and gives a rousing speech to all these characters that I didn't know. This was also my introduction to Guy Gardner… I loved him. Such a jerk! I immediately began collecting the Justice League to learn who he was.

6. Blackest Night (Heroes and villains return from the grave as a battle of all the spectrum Lanterns is waged. Nekron returns and brings many deceased heroes with him to end the living and get back to the Universe that was quiet and peaceful before life infected it.) This began as a Green Lantern cross-over that exploded and ultimately brought back many high profile DC mainstays. I really loved this story and felt it showcased Hal & Barry's friendship as well as ushering in a new dominance of Green Lantern in the DCU.

5. Siege (After a Civil War that splits Earths heroes and an Invasion that makes people fear those heroes in power… Norman Osborn has gathered his own Dark team and has worked his was to the top, but now things are falling apart. Loki and Osborn work a deal that will put Asgard in his hands, only to have it back fire when one of Osborn's own begins to crack and show his true self. Sentry then proves to be the Ultimate Villain. Can the combined effort of all the Avengers take down a being with the power of a Million Bursting Suns?) I love how this story really wrapped up what was started in Civil War and Secret Invasion. It really, logically mended fences and brought about a new "Heroic Age". Plus "What's on his face? Crazy Sauce!" best line of the year!

4. 52 (Trying something new, DC puts out a weekly book using B & C class characters. Following this handful of heroes, we watch as these DC writers layout the new landscape of the DCU and slowly illustrate that the Multiverse is back. Many characters are lost, but DC touches many underused heroes and enriches their background in this yearlong story.) I was hooked from the beginning to end. I never suspected this would work. This isn't exactly an "event", but it affected everything the DCU was. 52 re-invented Booster Gold, Elongated Man, The Question, Batwoman, Black Adam, Lex Luthor, Steel, Animal Man, Starfire, Adam Strange, and Renee Montoya. I loved this title!

3. Civil War (After a tragic accident that shows the world what can happen when superheroes make mistakes, a Registration act is proposed by Ironman. Not all the heroes agree with this move and the good guy community splits as to how to carry on as a hero. Half the heroes begin to follow Captain America and the other follow Ironman as war begins to stir.) This story molded marvel for many years… and I argue that its still affecting the direction many characters take. I really feel like this is the best event of the modern age. Many major things came from this story, Spider-Man revealed his true identity, Tony Stark became director of S.H.I.E.L.D., the Illuminate was illustrated as a power behind the scenes, The Avengers split and became 2 teams, and most important… Captain America was killed. The Marvel Universe was in shambles… seeding the way for a Skrull invasion.

2. Age Of Apocalypse (Professor X's son learns that if he kills Magneto in the past, the world would be a better place… only he accidentally kills his own father, changing the whole time stream… this becomes an actual What if Xavier never existed and how much this man's influence changed the world. It’s now a dark world ruled by Apocalypse and many of the heroes and villains we know… are different. Many are much more sinister. Some are no longer fighting on the side of angels. Bishop is the only X-man that remembers the world the way it should be and sets on a quest to set things right) This cross-over event is epic and still holds a special place to me. It really was a What If that mattered. These were characters that couldn't help but be affected by these events. The best part… when the event was concluded, not everything fell back into place the way it used to be. Epic, Epic Story!

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths (DC had been planning this "Grandfather to all Comic Book Events" for years, to help celebrating DC's 50th Anniversary, Marv Wolfman plotted the greatest consolidation and revamp story ever. Ever since the invention of "multiple earths" in Flash #123, where we learned both the Golden Age Flash and Barry Allen both existed, just at different frequencies. But time made DC confusing and DC felt it was time to clean the slate. Telling a story where a huge Universal battle where entire worlds were destroyed. In the very first Issue, we lost the Crime Syndicate Earth. Issue after issue, many DC heroes & villains would fall, leaving readers stunned. Finally in the 12th issue, we have the multiverse merged into one universe, with new rules and new origins. And nothing was the same ever, ever again.) Why was this my number One? Simple... this was my first event, this was my first experience with continuity, this was my first experience with death. Seriously, I was 10 years old and seeing Supergirl dead in the arms of Superman on the cover of COIE #7 still sticks with me as the most memorable cover of all time. I wasn't even collecting comics when I read this story and I knew it was something special. I dig out my trade paperback at least once a year and revisit this ambassador of my youth.

Honorable Mentions: Infinite Crisis, Secret Invasion, Final Night, Underworld Unleashed, House of M, Eclipso The Darkness Within, Our Worlds at War

4 comments:

  1. Interesting idea!

    As for a top 10 that "Shaped Me as a Reader of Comics" I'm gonna do a good and bad (so no ranking on my part. The #'s are to make sure that I know how to count).

    1. Kirby's 4th World - got a lot to read but it's one of the very few comics that has me jazzed right now. Kinda brings me back to that feeling I had when I first saw Thundaar The Barbarian as a kid. Man! What fun!!!

    2. Crisis on Infinite Earths - pretty mind blowing as a 10 year old (I think that's right...). A big shift for me. I liked and hated it but wanted to read them all. I gotta say, it nearly killed me as a comic reader though. I didn't like most of the comics that followed it on the newsstands and I pretty much fizzled out as a comic reader for about 2 years. Still, it was a monumental work that I plan on re-reading soon. Too bad it's being milked to a shrivel tho'.....

    3. Secret Wars - black Spidey suit. N'uff said.

    4. Blackest Night - put the final nail in the coffin for me as a (modern) Green Lantern reader. I resolve to read only Golden Age G.L. up thru the 80s stuff from here on out (unless I change my mind in 20 or so years). Pbbblll!!!!!!!! (OK! OK! In all fairness some of the art is pretty good)

    5. Civil War/Skrulls (they used to be so cute)/Whatever - Stopped my renewing interest in (modern) Marvel superhero books dead in it's tracks. Say it with me: "NO MORE NON-ENDINGS!!!!!" Good. Now say it again! And again, and again, and Skrulls, and never end. Please, just never, ever, ever, ever end..... ever, cause endings are hard......and . .. .

    6. Kingdom Come - The ending was a little weak (if I remember right) but Alex Ross's art and the Revelation storyline showed that quality and scale are still possible in comics. I may have to go thru those again...

    7. Infinity Gauntlet - The one event that I bought and never read! I still plan on it! It's effected me in serving as a reminder that I have much to do b4 I completely lose my eyesight.

    8. Secret Wars 2 - taught me the concept of "milking it". I can't even remember what it was about. Guess I'll hafta read those again too.

    9. Transformers #5 (Marvel) - Let's face it. This was an event whether you like it or not. That 4 issue limited series was so awesome that it exploded into a regular series (and now movies and MORE comics, cartoons, toys, etc.). I think when they finally ended the Marvel run it was billed "80 in a 4 issue limited series".

    10. Is.... YET TO COME! I am not keen on most events but I'm sure something out there will spark my interest (good or bad). Lets hope quality is not dead!

    Shawn-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn, that's awesome that you posted your list. Thanks Man! I think its cool about what shaped you... But its too bad that you just didn't click with Blackest Night. I know you've told me your reasons, and I completely understand. But I also remember you liking the Sinestro Corps War. So, we're good. :) Thanks again for posting your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phheww! Glad I didn't get tooooo soap boxey. Yeah, Sinestro Corps War was probably the best Hal is back thingy I've read so far. Sure, there was some throw away ish's but neat overall. Kinda fulfilled that urge to see other ring colors from when I was a kid. I love that sort experimentation when it works!

    Keep on readin'!

    btw: have you guys seen the commercial for the Thor costume playset thing? It's not just for lil' tykes anymore!!!!! BOOM!

    Shawny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thor costume playset thing? I'm wearing it right now. I have the Thor Headquarters Playset with Collapsible Rainbow Bridge strapped to my chest as we speak! Hewwhoooo MAGIC!

    ReplyDelete