Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Death and Return of Superman

As someone who's actually had a co-worker come up to me and ask me to explain The Death of Superman to them, it's nice that I can now just point them to this:



I've seen this linked several places online but to be fair, it wasn't until my cousin Scott placed it on my Facebook wall that I finally sat down and watched it.

It's... it's pretty accurate. Though--and I'm sure I can speak for him in this--Robb and I disagree in his initial statements about Superman and there being nothing special about him. And I can say that as someone who spent most of her life in the "Superman is boring" camp.

But that's all beside the point. The point I actually wanted to bring up, besides the fact that this is a fantastic and hilarious and accurate-ish video, is that this video was created by Max Landis, son of John Landis, and screenwriter of the new film, CHRONICLE, that brought in a lot of strong reviews this past weekend.

I haven't seen Chronicle yet--though I'd very much like to--but I understand that the director of the film, Josh Trank, has been rumored to be the frontrunner for the Fantastic Four reboot. Now, if those reviews and this wonderful Superman recap are any indication, I'd like to say that maybe this kid aught to reteam with Josh if that really comes to be. He knows his stuff and, even better, he delivers it in a really charming, fun way. (and lord, those celebrity cameos)

I think we need another Comicbook Crossfire Goes To The Movies weekend and hit up some Chronicle. Maybe we could double-feature it with Phantom Menace 3D. (consider it a cleanser)

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome... Even if he said a lot I disagree with, but i agree with his biggest point. Supermans death killed death in comics. I loved his explanation of the death and return... But yeah, I can point to other sale charts that say Actions numbers did not decline after his return... Especially if you compare them to his predeath sales numbers. This opens many cool discussions...thanks for that post Tracie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete