Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tracie's Pull List - Week of September 28, 2011

We're in the final week of The New 52. There have been successes and disappointments.

Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman each have at least ONE really good book to their name and sadly, that has not always been the case.

I'm likely skipping on Superman, this week, as I have little interest in Perez and Merino guiding the book. If I hear that it's outstanding, I could change my mind, but I'm pretty darn happy with Action Comics so there's no reason to get greedy.

WHAT ELSE?



AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #670

THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAYOR!

ANGEL & FAITH #2

IDW's Angel series had weak art but a good story, until the writer left and it petered out. I'm very happy to have a VERY well-written and well-drawn Angel (and Faith) series that can actually work alongside the Buffy stories.

AQUAMAN #1

Aquaman's back and Geoff Johns is ready to make him into the badass we all knew he could be/was. But nothing will ever compare to Brave and the Bold Aquaman.

ASTONISHING X-MEN #42

X-Men in Space versus The Brood! Written by the same fellow writing my Angel & Faith comics. Christos Gage is clearly vying for my affections.

BRILLIANT #1

New creator-owned series from Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley!!

CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BUCKY #622

Brubaker! Andreyko! Samnee! The Invaders!

DOROTHY AND WIZARD IN OZ #1 (OF 8)

Shanower and Young are back to weave their magic in this remarkable, long-running adaptation of L. Frank Baum's Oz stories. Why there isn't a Harry Potter adaptation of this calibre, I'll never know.

FF #9

The War of the Four Cities!

FURY OF FIRESTORM THE NUCLEAR MEN #1

This is a mouthful of a title, but I really do hope this creative team can give us a Firestorm(s) to be captivated by. I really loved Dan Jolley's run on the Jason Rusch Firestorm series.

INCORRUPTIBLE #22

MAX VERSUS THE PLUTONIAN????

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #628

Having an issue dedicated to Mephisto is wonderful (when it's at the pen of Kieron Gillen) but I'll be very happy to have Teen Loki back this week.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #1

I went from having no interest in this title whatsoever to being actually rather excited and that's thanks to having read the Flashpoint: Secret Seven mini-series which worked as sort of an alternate reality precursor (much like the FP: Frankenstein book did). And funny enough, I had no interest in that either but I borrowed it and read it on a lark and really loved it. If this book can match and expand the cool, seedy, mystical fun of that book, I should be quite pleased. And while I don't think her costume needed to be changed at all, at least the Zatanna in JLDark looks better than the godawful thing she wore in Flashpoint.

MIGHTY THOR #6

Conclusion of The Galactus Seed!!

NEW AVENGERS #16.1

NEAL ADAMS draws the New Avengers!!!! Also Norman Osborn returns.

NEW MUTANTS #31

New Mutants in Hel! (one L) David LaFuente, you are so lovely.

SECRET AVENGERS #17

Warren Ellis took over the book with Jamie McKelvie last issue and it was easily the best issue of the entire series. Can he top it? I'm excited to find out.

TEEN TITANS #1

I'm so wary about this book. I was okay with the idea of a kinda-sorta reboot of Superboy (and enjoyed the issue as a whole) but this complete Titans reboot definitely has some odds stacked against it. I'm curious and cautious about just how the new Wonder Girl and Kid Flash (Bart Allen) are going to be portrayed. It SOUNDS a lot like the Young Justice cartoon, which I do enjoy, but I can't help but feel pensive about this. Maybe over any of the other 52 books I've read. We'll see.

THE FLASH #1

Francis freakin' Manapul. The man does gorgeous work and I'm excited to see what he does when he's piloting the story as well. Goodness knows he couldn't make Barry Allen LESS interesting.

ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #2

WHAAAAAAT, I GET A NEW ULTIMATE SPIDER-MILES ALREADY?? You are too good to me.

ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #2

Hickman, Ribic, White. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment