Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tracie's Pull List - Week of September 21, 2011

It's Week 3 of The New 52 from DC Comics and it feels like there's a bunch of books I just can't get excited about. I'll give 'em a flip-through if they've got them in the shop, but I dunno. It's a pretty heavy Marvel week for me so I don't feel too bad about it.

I like Judd Winick a lot but the art has me a little iffy on Selina's portrayal. I got burnt out on Green Lantern Corps and Emerald Warriors, though EW was probably the stronger of the two. I LOVED GLC when Tomasi and Gleason were on the book and it's suffered since they left. Having Tomasi return is promising, but I feel like they should trade artists with Doug Mahnke on Green Lantern. It just seems like Mahnke and Tomasi draw these aliens better than anyone and who's got more aliens than Green Lantern Corps? They even tease you by putting that gorgeous Mahnke cover on the book. Let some other dude draw regular ol' Hal Jordan. Anyway, I looked at the preview pages for GLC and was pretty turned off by the mutilation in the first four pages. I really have no interest in Captain Atom or the current Legion of Superheroes, and while I love Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle, the covers just turn me off and Bedard hasn't really excited me much in a long while. We'll see.

As for what I AM getting this week, well let me tell you...



AVENGERS #17

I was trying to think of what the "Hollywood Couple Name" (or portmanteau, for you book-learnin types) for Clint and Jessica would be but then I realized I would hate myself for committing such a thing to type. Also, the name Clint makes for some dicey territory.

AVENGERS CHILDRENS CRUSADE #7 (OF 9)

Are you ready to drool over some beautiful Chung/Morales/Ponsor art? Because I totally am.

BATMAN #1

It's here it's here, Snyder is back! Well, okay, it hasn't even really been a month since his last issue of Detective shipped, but it feels like I've been waiting a long time for this and I'm excited to see what Scott Snyder will do with new collaborator Greg Capullo. I think Greg gets some unfair judgement for being a 90's Image guy and a McFarlane guy but I think he's a very talented artist and I'm hoping Snyder's Batman helps him shake some of that stigma.

BIRDS OF PREY #1

Despite being a big, big fan of Gail Simone's work on this title, and being upset by the unfairly abrupt conclusion to her work on it, I'm really looking forward to this new take on BoP from writer Duane Swierczynski, who reeeeeeally impressed me with his wonderful run on the Cable & Hope stories at Marvel. I can't wait to see what he and Jesus Saiz do with these girls.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #3

Brubaker and McNiven bringing more gorgeous Steve Rogers ass-kicking.

DAREDEVIL #4

WHAT, we get two weeks in a row of Mark Waid's stupendous new Daredevil series? And this issue brings artist Marcos Martin back in the fold? Guys, you are too good to me.

DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #1

Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang doing Deadman has me curious. I like Paul a lot, though it's been a while since he's had a real hit, it seems. I like with a character like Deadman, there's a lot of room to make your mark, so I hope this does it. Plus, gorgeous Ryan Sook covers.

FEAR ITSELF FEARSOME FOUR #4 (OF 4)

The conclusion of this PRETTY-OKAY mini starring Howard the Duck, She-Hulk, and Man-Thing, the combination of which was a guaranteed sell for me.

FEAR ITSELF THE HOME FRONT #6 (OF 7)

Home Front has been a bit more impressive, as Fear Itself tie-in minis go. Specifically the headlining Speedball story. Though this new back-up starring the younger/sidekick heroes is fun.

FEAR ITSELF YOUTH IN REVOLT #5 (OF 6)

Speaking of young heroes! These guys can't catch a break.

GENERATION HOPE SCHISM #11

OH NO penultimate issue of Kieron Gillen's run and Schism tie-in. Last issue's Schism tie-in was a reeeeally wonderfully done look at Schism #3 from Idie's point of view. I think it informed the events and actions really, really well.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #508

Wagonless Tony Stark is saving the world by failing himself!

MORNING GLORIES TP VOL 02

Morning Glories volume 1 blew me away and I've been dying for volume 2 to come out ever since. Calling it "The Breakfast Club meets LOST" is pretty apt.

NIGHTWING #1

I wasn't sure I was going to give Nightwing a shot, being pretty lukewarm about the art and having some issues with Dick Grayson being "demoted" back to Nightwing but Kyle Higgins impressed me enough in interviews and via his work with Scott Snyder on Gates of Gotham, that I'm now actually pretty excited to check this out. Higgins seems to love and respect Dick Grayson enough that I expect him to treat Dick's return to Nightwing with respect and grace and not ignore the lessons and surprising character growth Dick experienced in his time as Batman. It's just too bad he no longer gets to work with Damien.

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #1

One of the most curious offerings of The New 52, Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rockafort bring us a buddy comic starring two former sidekick eff-ups (a murderer and a junkie) plus an alien princess refugee. Roy Harper may have lost a daughter, but he's gained an arm and a trucker cap.

SPIDER ISLAND SPIDER-WOMAN

Van Lente, Cammuncoli, and Spider-Woman? SOLD.

SPIDER-ISLAND CLOAK AND DAGGER #2 (OF 3)

LOVED LOVED LOVED the first issue by Nick Spencer and Emma Rios, Give these guys an ongoing PLEASE. ALSO: for those curious about Cloak and Dagger but uninterested in Spider-Island, this mini really works mostly as a Cloak and Dagger book than as an event tie-in. It's very focused on the characters and reintroducing them to the Marvel Universe.

STUFF OF LEGEND JESTERS TALE #2 (OF 4)

Stuff of Legend is a beautiful, dark Toy Story/Winnie the Pooh sort of thing.

SUPERGIRL #1

Issues with the bottom half of her costume aside (well, calling it a "half" is overly generous), the reinventions of Superman and Superboy have had me pretty pleased so let's see if they can go for a hat-trick with yet another complete reboot of Supergirl. (I really do love the art, and they hired my favorite colorist, I just wish she's put on some danged pants or a skirt or SOMETHING that didn't involve a crotch diamond)

THUNDERBOLTS #163.1

OH HEY it's one of those Point One jumping on points for a comic that truly deserves your attention. Here's a good place to start. Supervillains in a prison run by Luke Cage! They use Man-Thing as their transport! It's a comic that's funny and compelling and just the right amount of twisted. It is a TREAT, my friends.

TINY TITANS #44

Still waiting for my plushies, DC Direct. Why don't you want my money?

ULTIMATE COMICS HAWKEYE #2 (OF 4)

Hickman! Jeremy Renner! (well, pretty much)

ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN #1

The writer of the excellent and aforementioned Morning Glories and Cloak and Dagger reinvents the Ultimate X-Men. Sadly, they really needed the reinvention but fortunately, Nick Spencer is the perfect man for the job.

UNCANNY X-MEN #543

For the same reasons I passed on Clint/Jessica, I will also spare you any attempts of a Colossus/Juggernaut portmanteau. Though this probably deserves one a lot more.

WONDER WOMAN #1

I think all of my DC picks this week are really promising but I think the one with the most riding on it, is this one. Pants or no pants (and unfortunately, it's no pants, by the way) Wonder Woman needs a hit. Trinity or no trinity, Diana can't seem to get a break, be it in comics or movies or animation. If what she needs is something really different and completely fresh, then The New 52 and the team of Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang are the ones to do it. Please give us a Wonder Woman that everyone can get behind. Even if we're still a little pissed that you jerked us around about her clothes.

X-MEN SCHISM #4 (OF 5)

Penultimate issue of the X-Men event that has been simultaneously high-fiving me while delivering gut punches. Jason Aaron and Alan Davis!

No comments:

Post a Comment