Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tracie's Pull List - Week of October 5, 2011

I'd say this was a suspiciously small week for me, especially for the first Wednesday of the month, but there are two trades out that I'd love to get my hands on so that more than makes up for it.



ACTION COMICS #2

Now that the trepidation has passed and have more of an understanding of what this New 52 means for us, we're now getting into 2nd issues. I'm pretty danged excited to see where Action Comics goes.

ANIMAL MAN #2

One of the big surprises of the New 52, you either loved it or you didn't. I haven't seen much middle ground. I'm definitely on the side of "loved."

AXE COP BAD GUY EARTH TP

Oh Axe Cop. You are the best comic written by a tiny child.

HARK A VAGRANT HC

This is a very good week for hilarious webcomics in print as Kate Beaton gets a very lovely hardcover collection from Drawn and Quarterly. Hark! A Vagrant is truly one of my very favorite webcomics and I'm super thrilled for Kate's success.

MOON KNIGHT #6

You know what I just realized? For a Bendis/Maleev collaboration, Moon Knight is actually a lot of fun. Don't misunderstand, I LOVE Bendis and Maleev, but they tend to work together on very dark, dramatic things. Scarlet has a bit of wryness to it, but the subject matter is very serious. Moon Knight is actually about a superhero who seems to be having fun being a superhero and Bendis and Maleev seem to be having fun making it and that's interesting to me.

MYSTIC #3 (OF 4)

MYSTIC IS SO PRETTY WHY CAN'T IT BE AN ONGOING WHYYYY

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #229

And thus endeth my brief affair with the Sonic the Hedgehog comics. It was fun to return to them, nearly 20 years after I first started reading them. As I probably already mentioned, Sonic was one of the first comics I started buying regularly, along with Wolverine and X-Men. I think I read it from the mini-series up to #11 of the ongoing and by that point I'd lost interest and was completely embedded in the world of Marvel's mutants. This "Genesis" storyline, which took the characters through a rebooted universe, made for a nice way to sidestep the 100's of issues of continuity they've set up in the last 18 years and enjoy a couple issues of the real nice Spaziente art which I got hooked on with the still excellent Mega Man comic. Ah, nostalgia.

STATIC SHOCK #2

I'm pretty heartbroken to hear that John Rozum will be leaving this series as writer, shortly. I was pretty taken with the first issue and Static is a character I would really like to see succeed. Hopefully they can find an equally good writer to take over (or if McDaniel keeps co-writing, maybe we won't notice that much of a shift).

SWAMP THING #2

Gall dang, Swamp Thing is creepy AND pretty.

SWEET TOOTH #26

Jeff Lemire double-shot! If you enjoyed his Animal Man or Frankenstein, you DEFINITELY need to check out Sweet Tooth.

THUNDERBOLTS #164

Who likes time travel stories and the types of villains you love to hate? ME, I DO.

X-MEN: SCHISM #5 (OF 5)

OH CRAP IT'S THE FINAL ISSUE OF SCHISM AND I'M JUST GOING TO STARE AT ADAM KUBERT'S ART FOR HOURS.

No comments:

Post a Comment