Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tracie's Pull List - Week of October 19, 2011



The Batman: Year One animated film drops today and I plan to scoot to Best Buy over lunch to get my exclusion Catwoman figurine. It doesn't look like it comes with a stripper pole accessory/playset. I can probably just use the pens at my desk.

Batman: Year One is my favorite Batman so I'm very excited for this. And also to hear Heisenberg play Commissioner Gordon.

Also, for those curious, the Green Lantern: Extended Edition is, in fact, an improvement on the theatrical version. Though Robb and I may be of differing opinions on how much of an improvement, it makes for a great blu-ray and has some wonderful special features, including a couple deleted scenes that would've actually gone a long way to correcting the problems I had with the film. Tsk, tsk, editors/producers/whoever.

Next week, the Captain America blu-ray!!!

And now-- COMICS!



AVENGERS #18

New artist Daniel Acuna joins the team and it's so pretty! Who will be joining the team "for reals," is the subject of this issue. Though NYCC already confirmed one of them. (probably two, actually)

BATMAN #2

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo give you the best Batman book of four Batman books. (five if you count the return of Odyssey, but that's a bit unfair)

BIRDS OF PREY #2

The first issue did not floor me but it did feature some cool Ghost in the Shell type fighting of invisible dudes and Swierczynski gets leeway with me. Even though I have to look up how to spell his name every time I do one of these. Saiz and Ruffino's art is just as wonderful as always.

DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #2

Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang's Deadman story was a very nice surprise, giving you a new perspective on how Deadman works.

FEAR ITSELF #7 (OF 7)
FEAR ITSELF: HOME FRONT #7 (OF 7)
FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #1 (OF 12)
FEAR ITSELF: YOUTH IN REVOLT #6 (OF 6)


Fear Itself and it's tie-ins come to a close while one of the two aftermath books, The Fearless, kicks off. I like that Valkyrie's become such a featured player of late.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #509

I hope there's some sort of notation of whether I'm supposed to read this before or after Fear Itself #7. I guess, judging by the cover, it should be before? Or in conjunction with?

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #629

With Fear Itself ending, so does Kid Loki's quest to assemble a group of terrible creatures to take down The Serpent and save his brother. Will he succeed and earn the praise of his fellow Asgardians? Probably not. Poor Loki.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #2

Batman versus Superman! FOR THE FIRST TIME. Be mindful of any jewelry you're wearing, Superman. Bats has sticky fingers.

NIGHTWING #2

I know we talked about Nightwing feeling like a demotion or step down for Dick, but Higgins seems to be handling it with dignity, keeping the lessons Dick learned as Batman and having him stay in Gotham, rather than being shuttled off to Bludhaven or elsewhere to be by himself. Maybe he could arrange occasional sleepovers for Damien.

TINY TITANS #45

The All Batgirls Issue! Barbara, Stephanie, Cassandra, and Flamebird!

ULTIMATE COMICS HAWKEYE #3 (OF 4)

They have a Hulk.

UNCANNY X-MEN #544

THE FINAL ISSUE OF UNCANNY X-MEN. ....Until next month's Uncanny X-Men #1! I simply can't be bothered by numbering. All I care is that Kieron Gillen is doing a fantastic job with the X-books and this issue we'll get some good epilogue-ing with the post-Fear Itself, post-Schism team, setting up a new direction for what remains of Cyclops' team on Utopia.

WOLVERINE #17

Like an idiot, I thought I'd wait for the trade on the new Wolverine series. But then the softcovers took too long to follow the hardcovers and here we are with an issue by Schism and Wolverine and the X-Men writer Jason Aaron that ties into Regenesis and I desperately want to read it. So, fine. You've made a fool of me. Are you happy?

WONDER WOMAN #2

IT'S SO PRETTY YOU GUYSSSSS. I haven't been this excited about Wonder Woman in a lonnng time.

X-MEN: 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION #1

Alright, now... this? This is an odd one. It's a reprint of Chris Claremont and Jim Lee's X-Men number one. Which I and everyone else own several times over. But it's RECOLORED with MODERN TECHNOLOGY and I may very well be that much of a sucker for this particular bit of nostalgia to want to pick this up, even though Thomas Mason isn't even my favorite colorist. It is nice looking, though, and fun to look at the issue young Tracie studied so tirelessly, with fresh eyes. Sweet moneygrab, guys. (OH AND IT HAS THE GATEFOLD COVER)

No comments:

Post a Comment