Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tracie's Pull List - Week of August 22, 2012


Hey, if you are looking for a movie recommendation, I highly recommend ParaNorman, the new stop-motion animated feature from the studio that brought you Coraline. (which makes it like 2-3 degrees seperated from comics, right?) Without spoiling anything, it did some stuff that I did not at all expect from a PG-rated animated feature and bravo to them. I hope that it resonates with audiences and, even though it's probably pretty scary for little kids, I feel like it has some good things to say to kids and parents and I hope it strikes up some good conversations.

Now, let's strike up some conversations about this week's batch of comics!



Amazing Spider-Man #692

Special giant-sized 50th Anniversary issue featuring the return of Humberto Ramos to art and the introduction of Alpha, a mysterious new character and... teen sidekick to Spider-Man? Oh Marvel, you are the WORST. BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT. No, I'm just kidding, that's what YOU sound like, Internet. Here's what Tracie sounds like "Yay Ramos yay yay yay! I find this book to be enjoyable to read and shall continue to do so!" Ha! Nailed it. That's so totally me.

Batman Incorporated #3

In many/most places, this issue had been delayed a month due to the tragic Aurora shootings. My shop still carried it, whether they knew they were supposed to or not, but if any of you out there were still waiting for it to arrive, wait no more! However, #4 will now be delayed a month as well as to ensure the #0 issue ships with the rest of them next month.

Before Watchmen Dr. Manhattan #1

Look, I try to avoid buying books written by J. Michael Straczynski because they generally displease me and I know a lot of you still have "feels" about these Before Watchmen books, but let me break it down for you... This comic is drawn by Adam Hughes. Adam Hughes is a brilliant artist. Maybe one of the best this medium has seen. Adam Hughes does not draw comics with any kind of frequency. I want to say the last time he drew a full issue of anything was WildC.A.T.S/X-Men: The Modern Age back in 1997. 1997!!!! Since then his career has consisted of a lot of award-winning cover work and a few scant short stories/pin-ups scattered about. So if you are going to tell me that he is drawing 4 entire issues of Dr. Manhattan, I am buying those 4 issues and that naked blue dude is going to look amazing.

Brilliant #4

I wish Bendis' creator-owned books would ship with more frequency because they are VERY GOOD and this one in particular has had a bit of a slow start to it but it is really getting to the meat of things now and can't we at least have it bi-monthly? We know Bagley can handle it, right?

Flash #12

I don't know if Francis Manapul is back on art duties in this one or not but I really hope so. I love Marcus To but the magic of this book is really Manapul getting to write and draw his own Flash stories and really push the storytelling to new, interesting places. He doesn't really seem to push To all that much in his fill-ins and that's a shame.

Invincible Iron Man #523

We are closing in on the end, my friends!

Punisher #14

Seriously, if Greg Rucka's Punisher series is coming to an end due to low sales, you guys do not deserve any more Punisher comics.

Secret Avengers #30

Venom versus Taskmaster and another sweet-ass Art Adams cover!

Uncanny X-Men #17

The conclusion of the Phoenix Force Five's battle against Sinister and the culmination of a plotline that's been building since #1!

Web Of Spider-Man #129.1

I'm not entire sure of the point of these particular Point Ones other than they thought, they it's the 50th Anniversary of Spider-Man, let's publish a bunch of new issues for Spider-Man comics that were cancelled years ago. I don't know and I don't care. What's important here is that DAMION SCOTT IS DRAWING THIS. I don't know what Damion has been doing since the the Raven mini he did in, what, 2008? But his art here looks INCREDIBLE and maybe the best it's looked since his heyday on the Cassandra Cain Batgirl series (one of my favorite comic runs of ALL TIME). It's super exciting to have an energetic and unique artist like Damion back on the scene here.

Wolverine #312

I'm never quite sure what they're going for with these Romulus stories and the very confusing death/ressurection of Sabretooth but oh well whatever it looks pretty.

THAT IS ALL. 'Til next time. Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment