Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tiny Tracie Reviews

I'm actually regular-sized Tracie, but these are some tiny reviews I thought should find a home on our blog, rather than just being e-mailed between Robb and I as we giggle like schoolgirls.

RED HOOD: THE LOST DAYS #1 (DC) This mini's off to a great start! Judd Winick does a great job of getting me emotinally invested in the story and particularly with Talia Al Ghul. Also, spectacular art. I really miss seeing Pablo Raimondi on X-FACTOR but hopefully he gets some good exposure with this.

SERENITY: FLOAT OUT (Dark Horse) A decent read, though I expected more from Patton Oswalt. The ending made up for it a bit.

DARKSTAR AND THE WINTER GUARD #1 (Marvel) For having no prior interest in the "Russian Avengers," David Gallaher has done an excellent job in filling me in on just who these characters are and, most importantly, making me care about them. He also deserves huge kudos for introducing a female Crimson Dynamo in the preceeding HULK: WINTERGUARD one-shot, as she and the new Darkstar have become my favorite characters on the team. Also must mention the excellent art by Steve Ellis and the fact that Russia's Avengers have a giant bear, so... Suck it, America.

DEMO vol. 2 #5 (Vertigo) I am going to miss this series deeply once it concludes next issue. From Becky Cloonan's constant reinvention to Brian Wood's heart-wrenching stories involving the extra-ordinary, this Vertigo revival stands right up with the spectacular original series. I wish there were more comics as experimental as this.

1 comment:

  1. I agree so much on Red Hood. I feel like Winick is getting the chance to really tell the Jason Todd story he started in that Annual a couple of years ago. I wonder if it will end with his appearance in "Batman and Robin"? Where he dies his hair red. (I know you didnt read that book)

    ReplyDelete