Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Like Father, Like Ward



Having just re-read “Long Halloween” I had a realization on why I am enjoying Dick Grayson as Batman. Doubt.
Bruce Wayne in “Long Halloween” and “Year One” has doubt. He is new to the role of Batman, he hasn't seen it all and made countless contingency plans yet. So early in his career he is a man with a cape and a car... that and his wits and training. No OMAC, no Oracle for help. In the “Long Halloween” Batman is wrong. He makes mistakes, he falters. Bruce Wayne is very much human in those stories.

This brings me back to Dick. He has years more experience than Bruce had, plus he had Bruce. But slipping on the cowl is more than just making sure not to get hat-hair. Dick as Batman has his doubts too. He is finding himself. Much like Bruce in “Long Halloween” he is trying to get Jim Gordon to trust him.
Doubt isn't the only thing keeping Dick Grayson human. His lack of obsession helps. Dick is a return to a much more well rounded Batman, one that smiles but still doesn't have nipples or a dotting aunt.
That's my 2 cents at least.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. As much a mess as it was getting Dick Grayson in the cowl, I've really enjoyed the humanity and fallibility he's brought to the role.

    I know many people prefer that Batman be this infallible, calculating hero and I enjoy it but it's more fun to see a Batman that makes mistakes and gets into bad situations and has to think his way out, than a Batman who is always in control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you, but I think Batman needs to be somewhat, the hero's hero! Moreso than Superman. I do love that Dick is somewhat unsure and learning the ropes, but still doing "Batman" in his "loving the role, smile" as he punches the bad guys. I think that's good writing showing the difference between Bruce and Dick!

    ReplyDelete