Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Digital comics

DC announces today that its catching up with Marvel and going digital. For the longest time, I've wanted to see comics go digital. Especially DC. DO NOT GET ME WRONG. I'm a purest of sorts. I love holding the comic in my hand and thumbing through art and reading on my back patio on a cool Saturday morning, with a cup of coffee… MORE THAN ANYTHING. But I'm running out of space! That is the bottom line. Space. Do you know how much room 35 Long Boxes take up? Do you know how expensive it is to have bags and boards for some 10,000 comics? Do you know how hard it is to want a specific issue. And have to dig and pull boxes apart and thumb through page after page, just to find a specific picture? For me the bottom line to my long term enjoyment of the medium. I don’t want to get rid of my collection. I don't want to stop buying books or visiting stores. I don't see me not getting my favorite titles in hard copy form. Like Neal Adams said in a report I read, "Comics will evolve!" They aren't going away. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think any way to get comics into more people's hands is going to be good for comics. There will still be folks like us who want to have the physical comic in our hands but for these people turning to digital and these generations of kids that're going to be growing up with iPhones and iPads and never owning a physical CD, this is going to be comics for them. They're easier to find, easier to turn your friends onto and, like you said, easier to store.

    I doubt any kid today wants to have dozens of longboxes lining their basement walls but if he can carry his collection on a mobile device? That's the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see it as a way to collect things I may not give a chance when I see them in the stores. That was how I read Planet Hulk. And I throughly enjoyed reading it on my laptop.

    In this online world, its only natural.

    ReplyDelete