Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tracie's Pull List - Week of October 10, 2012


Apologies to the one or two of you that follow my little shopping lists. I had this one partially written and completely missed writing up the releases for the 17th. I've been caught up in a move, performing several shows, and being without internet.

Here's my 10/10/12 write-up but we'll just skip 10/17 and move on to this week's in the next post.

Ame-Comi Girls #1

SO I am a sucker for a lot of these "Ame-Comi" designs, ridiculous as they may be, and they seem to have some great artists lined up on these "one-shots" which collect in print the digital comics series based on the DC Collectibles line of anime-inspired statues. This first issue collects the Ame-Comi Wonder Woman comics featuring art by the brilliant Amanda Conner.

AvX Consequences #1

If you are putting together a comic dealing with the emotional ramifications of a major event comic, you cannot hire a better writer to do so than Kieron Gillen. His tie-in issues to the various events that Uncanny X-Men, Generation Hope, and Journey Into Mystery have been a part of are almost always more emotinally gratifying than the event itself and bolsters the event as a result. Here we let Gillen do nothing but craft the aftermath of AvX and the pretty terrible state the Avengers and X-Men are left in.

Avengers #31

The Beginning of the End! Bendis' final Avengers storyarc starts here, along with lots of excellent guest artists to help say goodbye.

Avenging Spider-Man #13

Part two of the pretty great/weird Spider-Man/Deadpool vs. Hypno Hustler story with almost Quitely-esque art by Aaron Kuder.

Batman #13

AAAAA!!! "Death of the Family" begins here as Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo bring the Joker back to the New 52 for the first time since Tony Daniels did ridiculous things to him in Detective Comics. I am ready to be CREEPED THE HECK OUT by these master storytellers. Also returning this issue, DIE-CUT COVERS! You just keep on rocking the 90's, DC.

Batman And Robin #13

The OTHER really great Batman comic. Batman and Robin versus zombies? Just in time for this weekend's Walking Dead Season 3 premeire, I guess!

Before Watchmen Dr. Manhattan #2

So, I haven't read any of the other Before Watchmen books that JMS has written but wow is he going full-on Alan Moore impersonation with this. To the extent of having this story take place WITHIN the pages of Watchmen and recreating full scenes with a very odd new bend to it. All the other ones I've read leave Watchmen itself pretty untouched and simply use the characters and world, prior to that series, to tell their own sorts of stories with little nods and homages but not full on tampering with the book itself. Are his other "Before" books like that too? I mean, whatever, I guess. It's a little alarming but it's brilliantly drawn by Adam Hughes and that's what I signed up for.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #14

New storyline by Jane Espenson and Drew Z. Greenberg, actual television writers from the Buffy TV series that we love!!

Captain America #18

The conclusion of the kinda fun but kinda wonky "Hey let's throw Cullen Bunn on the series to help rush these subplots to a close so Ed Brubaker can say his goodbye and we can relaunch the book for Marvel NOW!" I should say it's not RUSHED feeling but it feels like this last storyline has moved a bit brisker than maybe it would have if it were just Ed writing it.

Fantastic Four #611

FINAL ISSUE FINAL ISSUE TIME TO CRY AND MOURN AND CRY. Oh Jonathan Hickman, you have given us one of, if not THE best runs in Fantastic Four history and I will forever love you for it. Ohhhh this's gonna be heartbreaking.

Invincible Iron Man #526

ALMOST DONE! (this is not said with releif but with astonishment)

Mega Man #18

The conclusion of the Protoman origin story! Protoman is my favorite Mega Man character, you guys.

Phantom Stranger #1

I'm actually writing this bit AFTER I'd already picked up my comics for the week of the 10th and I can tell you that I actually left this one on the shelf with the POTENTIAL that I might come back for it if I hear enough reasons to or have the inclination. I found the combination of Anderson and Tan's art styles to be fascinating and unexpected but I just don't know if I'm interested enough in the drive-by style reintroductions of DC's supernatural characters. Most of my interest in Phantom Stranger lies in his origins and connection to the Trinity of Sin and much of that story seems like it'll play out in Geoff Johns' books, though Pandora is supposed to appear next issue so... we'll see, I guess...

Secret Avengers #32

Hey, everybody who picked up Uncanny Avengers! Did you know that Rick Remender was already writing a book with the word "Avengers" in it? And it's very good?

Stumptown Volume 2 #2

Greg Rucka, Greg Rucka, I love you, Greg Rucka. Keep writing female protagonists forever! Smart, complicated, female protagonists.

Uncanny Avengers #1

THIS IS IT! MARVEL "NOW!" BEINGS HERE! Rick Remender! John Cassiday! X-Men and Avengers mash-up! HUGE THINGS happening! Complex character work! I love these characters and these creators and I'm excited for this new era of Marvel stories. DEAL WITH IT. Also, I got the Skottie Young baby variant and it's adorable.

Wolverine And The X-Men #18

JASON AARON, YOU MONSTER, YOU WONDERFUL WONDERFUL MONSTER. This may actually compete with Uncanny Avengers for the Biggest Thing This Week, in my heart.









'Til next time. Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment